Cells read-only in Datasheet view when using Office 2007

*UPDATE 23-Jul-2012* KB solution provided by Microsoft

Sympton
We were experiencing some issues while using the Datasheet view in SharePoint 2007 and SharePoint 2010 on some clients. When we uploaded some documents using "Upload Multiple Documents". This checked the documents out to the user who uploaded the documents. This is normal behavior. However, when you use the Datasheet view to edit some metadata for the uploaded documents, it would say the cells are read only.

image

I am logged in as the person that has uploaded the 2 text files.

We had some issues with using Datasheet view earlier, so I decided to check the help file. This is what it says:

image

After making sure these were not the issue in our environment, I started looking for other possible causes.

Cause
After a lot of testing, I found out this is caused by the installation of Office 2007 Service Pack 3.

Solution
When we were testing, I posted a question on the forums asking explaining the situation, hoping someone would know why this happened.

There is now a solution provided by Microsoft.
The steps I took to solve this issue were:
1. Download fix from: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2598128
2. Save and install on machine that has Office SP3.
3. Restart computer.
4. Run Fix it on machine that has Office SP3.
5. Restart computer.
6. Test
7. Check Registry for new entry. The following entry exists: (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\12.0\List\EnableCheckoutEdit) with value 0.

Workaround
Normally, you cannot undo a Service Pack installation for Office. But since Service Pack 2 for Office 2007, Microsoft released a "Service Pack Uninstall tool". More information about this tool can be found here, or you can download the tool here.

For uninstalling Service Pack 3, I ran the following command: oarpman /report. This generated a report where I could find the "Release code".
Next I ran oarpman /remove O12SP3 /log C:\logfolder\SPuninstall.log.

image

After this finished running (took approximately 15 minutes on my slow VM), I rebooted the VM and checked the Service Pack level for Office 2007. It now is Office 2007 Service Pack 2.

After this I tested the Datasheet view again, and everything worked!

Advertisements

Browser File Handling in SharePoint 2010

*** Updated 27-2-2013 ***

Sympton
By default, when you open a PDF file from a document library, you will get the following screen (IE9):

image

Causes
This by design. A quote from Microsoft:

This is intentional behavior. In 2010 we’ve tightened up security for people with contribute access. Previously, a malicious user could upload a file with script in it that would get run as whoever browses to the page ie. an admin. In 2010 where we have a javascript object model, this would be a big problem if we didn’t have this restriction in place.

Solution

Special thanks to Jose Luis Arbelaez for pointing out the correct way for doing this.

If you want to add PDF files to be opened directly, you can use PowerShell to add the PDF file type to the AllowedInlineDownloadMimeTypes.

To do this for all Web Applications, use the following line of code:

Get-SPWebApplication | %{$_.AllowedInlineDownloadedMimeTypes.Add("application/pdf");$_.Update()}

Solution #1
This solution has to be applied for each Web Application in your SharePoint farm.

Open up Central Administration, and click Manage Web Applications.

image

Next, select the web application for which you want to change the Browser File Handling, and click General Settings in the ribbon. Change the Browser File Handling from Strict to Permissive and click OK.

image

*** NOTE *** If this does not work for you, you might want to check the Extra Information.

– Solution #2
You might have guessed it, but PowerShell also provides a solution to this. I have created a script that will set the Browser File Handling for all document libraries and lists to permissive in your SharePoint 2010 farm. This is not per Web Application. This script is available as a download in the Technet Gallery.

Extra Information

I have seen some problems with this in various environments. When you work with site / list templates, the default setting provided by the Web Application, may not be transferred when you create a new site / list based on a custom template. For this purpose, I created the script that is available for download in the Technet Gallery.